Sunday, September 21, 2008

Yankee Stadium






Tonight will be the last baseball game at Yankee Stadium. It is a sad day for baseball and its fans. I don't care if you hate the Yankees, like them, or just plain don't care about them. This stadium is arguably the most historic in the country (possibly the world). I had the pleasure of visiting Yankee Stadium just last month. It was my first (and last) time there. The pictures in this post are pictures I took at Yankee stadium.




Yankee Stadium was constructed in 1923 and redone in 1973. I'm not going to give you a entire history of the Stadium, but I will mention some things. The Eagles even had a great moment at the Stadium. They clinched the 1960 NFL Championship on Chuck Bendarik's layout of Frank Gifford at Yankee Stadium.







When you think of the kind of players that competed there, you'll be amazed. Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, Reggie Jackson, and Derek Jeter have all called it home. I know that people say that it is not even the same stadium because of the rendition in 1973, but I don't believe that it is that different. I saw that home plate was moved like ten feet, but that doesn't matter.

If you've ever been to Yankee Stadium, you know why they are closing it down. The playing field is beautiful, but the inside is cramped and falling apart. When I visited the Stadium, I was stuck in the hallway inside the stadium for almost an hour. There is absolutely no parking there either. Another question that comes into people's mind is, "Why don't they just keep it there and let the Yankees move across the street?" Well, that also has to do with the parking. The Steinbrenners are going to turn it into a parking area.


Everyone who has ever visited Yankee Stadium will miss the majesty of it. Just the fact that you are watching a game on the same place that Babe Ruth and the other greats played is amazing. I love how the park is right in the middle of the Bronx. That's one thing I don't like about the Philadelphia sports complexes. They are away from everything in a desert of concrete, barren parking areas.


Goodbye and Goodnight Yankee Stadium. All Will Miss You.











No comments:

Post a Comment