Friday, August 14, 2009

Reaction to Vick Press Conference

The Philadelphia Eagles have just wrapped up a press conference announcing the signing of Michael Vick. Vick, Andy Reid, Tony Dungy, and owner Jeff Lurie all spoke at the press conference. Vick said he was very remorseful and sorry, but he had to say that or Jeff Lurie would have cut him at the conference.

If you scroll down you can see a video, provided by ESPN, of Vick at the press conference.

Vick: "I know I've done some terrible things, made a horrible mistake. Now I want to be part of the solution and not the problem." He better not be the problem. He caused enough problems for the NFL. Let's hope he can still play.

Vick: "For the life of me, I can't understand why I was involved in such pointless activity. Why did I risk so much at the pinnacle of my career?" I don't know Mike, that's the question everyone was asking when the dogfighting news came out.

Vick: "I'm glad I got the opportunity and the second chance. I won't disappoint." That sounds like a guarantee.

Owner Jeff Lurie spoke after Vick, Reid, and Dungy. He said he had to do a lot of "soul searching" and and he spoke a lot about the horrific acts Vick committed. He ripped into Vick, but he thinks that Vick can become an ambassador for the fair treatment of animals.

Lurie will hold Vick on a very short lease (no pun intended). Vick messes up just once, Lurie gave the impression that the Eagles will not hesitate to cut Vick if this doesn't work out. This seems like a low-risk, high-reward situation to me. If Vick screws up again, he's gone. If he works out, he could be very good for this team.

No comments:

Post a Comment